And last but not least, dessert! From pies to cobblers, cakes to sweet breads, tis the season to be baking, giving and sharing.
One way you can’t go wrong: a classic sweet potato pie.
Nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon come together to transform the sweet potato into a decadent but nourishing dessert.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
1 pound sweet potato
1/2-cup butter, softened
1/2-cup of natural orange juice
1/4-cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-9 inch unbaked pie crust
1. Boil large sweet potato whole in skin for 45 to 60 minutes, or until done.
2. When done, run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
3. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl.
4. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, juice, egg, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
5. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
6. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
8. When done, let pie stand cool for 20 minutes.
Courtesy of Walker Tisdale III, founder of HealthyBlackMen.org/Kwanzaa Culinarians