Recent research commissioned by Escentual.com revealed that a whopping two-thirds of women in the UK wear makeup every single day. As a result, three-quarters of them experience breakouts. It's one of the reasons why leading skincare experts are now endorsing the '5:2 for your face.'
While the 5:2 diet was originally food based (participants would limit their calorie intake for two days a week), dermatologists have discovered the same approach can be applied effectively to the skin. According to them, by choosing to forgo makeup for two days a week, you'll have younger and healthier looking skin within a month. The best part? It doesn't have to be done consecutively.
If you're a makeup junkie you're probably clutching your Naked Palette right about now. But there's no need to worry, this is all for a greater good! Dr. Esho, founder of Le Beau Ideal Aesthetics Clinic, promises it is.
"I always tell my patients good skin starts from below your foundation," he shares. "Overuse of makeup without appropriate breaks can accelerate the aging process by damaging elastin and collagen and reducing the tensile strength of the epidermis, resulting in fine lines and aging. Parabens from makeup and free radicals from our environment accumulate throughout the day within the pores and the epidermal layer."
Um, if that wasn't enough to convince you to back away from cosmetics for a bit, there's more.
"This accumulation can lead to the breaking down of collagen and elastin in the skin," Dr. Esho went on. " In some cases the cell life cycle (120 days) can begin to slow - extending more than the normal skin cell life cycle of 120 days, meaning there are more 'aged' cells remaining on the skin."
It's also been noted that the slowing of the cells' life cycle can cause fine lines and wrinkles. Eek! We think it's safe to say we all want to avoid physical signs of aging as long as possible.
Convinced to give the 5:2 diet for your face a shot? Emma Leslie, editor at Escentual.com, broke it down.
How it's done:
- Start by cleansing the face thoroughly with a type-specific cleanser each night. Then make sure to follow it up with a toner to tighten your pores. Finish up by applying some good old moisturizer.
- Use the makeup free days to truly detox your skin. Apply a clarifying clay mask and steam your face to rid it of any impurities.
- Forget about concealer! Instead opt for a corrective eye serum that will help reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles.
- Enhance your natural beauty with skin-illuminating moisturizer and Vaseline across the eyebrows and lips.
- If you have troublesome skin, feel free to use BB cream packed with dermatological benefits, that will help to reduce the appearance of redness and uneven skin.