Gaining unnecessary weight is something you would probably prefer to avoid. The best way of doing this is to watch what you eat.
Pregnant women need between 2000 - 2500 Kcals
per day - spread over 4 meals: breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner.
Remember if you are not physically active you'll need LESS calories so you don't gain unnecessary weight.
Must-haves for your diet
- Vitamins: Vitamin C (citrus fruits, green vegetables, etc.), Vitamin A (carrots, tomatoes, etc.), and Vitamin B (milk, eggs, whole grains).
- Iron: lots of women suffer from iron deficiency, it's therefore important to also eat red meat, fish, lentils, spinach, etc.
- Folic acid, which helps iron work properly in the body: aspragus, almonds, etc.
- Calcium, essential for the formation of your future baby's skeleton. Try to eat a variety of dairy products: milk, cheese, yogourt, etc.
- Drink between 1.5 and 2 litres a day. Mix it up by drinking a variety of juices, herbal teas, sparklling water, etc.