The solution... major make-up
If you can't go for the wow factor with your dress then do it with your eyes.
Dramatic smoky eye-make up is guaranteed to add sex appeal to a basic look and is all the more effective when worn with a pared down outfit.
The key to smoky eyes is in the lining and the lashes but that's the easy bit! Getting the shadow right is a bit of an art form...
1) Prepare your lids with a primer (using a slick of concealer is a reasonable alternative).
2) Apply a light shade of shadow to your entire eye area right up to the brow.
3) Starting at the outer corner of your eye, brush on a darker shade towards your inner corner, applying only as far as the eye crease! The colour should be more concentrated on the outside edge of your lids.
4) Blend the colour with your finger tips where it touches skin or the lighter colour.
5) Starting at your lash line, add a very dark shade and blend it upwards on your lid to give you that smoky effect.
6) Very carefully apply a line of shadow under your lower lash line.
7) Smoothly line the top lid with a liquid liner ending with a feline flick at each outer corner.
8) Curl lashes and apply lashings of black mascara.
Wear smoky eyes with a neutral shade of lipstick or a clear gloss. Dramatic eyes need flawless skin so don't scrimp on the foundation and powder.
If this is too much hassle then plain eyes with a good dose of black mascara worn with bright red lips is a much simpler, equally show-stopping alternative!
Too Faced Smoky Eye Palette - £22 - Boots
L'Oréal Extra Volume Plus Collagen Mascara - £9.99 - Boots
Yves Saint Laurent Automatic Eyeliner- £21 - Boots