The Food Secret's guide to detoxing
Food Secret’s Top Detox Tips
© ABLESTOCK / Jupiterimages
The installment of my Food Secret week long detox comes with a handy tip sheet which explains how to have a good detox:
1. Start the day: Cleanse! Have a mug of hot water with ¼ squeezed lemon, a slice of root ginger and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
2. Eat a fruit-based breakfast, such as stewed or fresh fruit salad with natural yogourt, or a freshly made smoothie.
3. Stay well hydrated. Drink at least 2l of water every day.
4. Fruit jucies are great too - get one a day. Apple, beetroot, carrot and cucumber are all nourishing and cleansing! Have them on an empty stomach for maximum benefit.
5. Herbal teas are good for lifting your mood on dark winter days - plus they help you steer clear of the caffeine.
6. Eat mainly fresh food in its natural unprocessed state. If you must cook then go for steaming, lightly boiling or poaching as opposed to frying.
7. Choose freshly prepared food. Aim to get as much fruit, veg and whole grains as possible.
8. Aim for more than five portions fruit and vegetables per day - five is the minimum. 60% of your plate should be vegetables both for dinner and lunch. Get as many colours on there as you can.
9. Eat a wide variety of foods but stay off the sugar and refined carbs - you don’t have to ban them but just go super easy on your intake.
10. Get breakfast! Plenty of protein will help you stay fuller for longer and give you a great energy boost to get you through the day.
11. Good sources of protein are a must for detoxing: lentils, chickpeas, eggs, fish, beans, fermented tofu (tempeh), quinoa, seeds and nuts.
12. Incorporate lifestyle factors into your detox: get a good night’s sleep, take a yoga class and treat yourself to a massage or a sauna.