Questions to ask a cosmetic surgeon
Cosmedic Coach, Antonia Mariconda has a check list of key questions to ask a surgeon about a cosmetic surgery procedure.
Plastic surgeons expect you to ask questions
Cosmetic surgeons expect their patients to have questions and reputable ones will not mind you bombarding them or their liason officers with queries.
It's important to remember that this is your health and you should fell 100% comfortable with the procedure before going ahead.
Trust your gut - if something doesn't feel right don't do it. Remember to check the cancellation policy before you sign or pay a deposit!
This example is for chin implants but the same questions apply for many surgical procedures...
--------- Cut-out-and-keep ---------
|Questions to ask your surgeon
Your personal circumstances
- Am I a good candidate for surgery?
- Are my described expectations realistic?
- Where is the surgery performed?
- What are the back up medical facilities there, for emergencies during or after the operation?
- What is the post-operative infection rate at the clinic/hospital where the operation will take place?
- How long will the procedure take?
- What kind of anesthesia is used?
- Ask to observe the exact procedure you are considering before you decided to have surgery if you are unsure (this could be on videotape or in real life).
- What is your experience in performing this type of surgery
- Can I see your qualifications?
- Ask to see any before and after photographs of recent surgeries?
- What percentages of your patients who had this specific operation have had significant post-surgical complications? (surgeons should disclose this information to you)
- Who will be assisting my surgery? Can I see their qualifications?
- Have you ever had your malpractice insurance coverage denied, revoked, suspended
- Ask for and follow up on patient references (these can be invaluable to finding out what your surgeon is really like and the level of customer satisfaction he/she has received in the past)
- How much will my surgery cost?
- Do you offer patient financing? (Flexible payment schemes for your surgery)
- Will you repeat/correct procedures if the agreed goals are not met? If this is the case, will I be charged again?
- What is the recovery and healing period for chin implants?
- When can I resume full normal activity?
- When can I return to work?