Create your own Christmas cupcakes
Christmas is the perfect time of year for cooking with the children - it's their chance to get creative in the kitchen. Follow this simple Christmas cupcake recipe, leave them to cool - then get decorating!
200g salted butter
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1tsp vanilla essence
Muffin tray and cases.
How to make Christmas Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 180c or gas mark 4.
2. Place the butter, sugar and any flavouring in an electric mixer and cream together until fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs lightly in another bowl and slowly add to the mix on medium speed. 4. Now mix in the flour on low speed setting. Put paper cases into a muffin tray and fill about two thirds full.
5. Bake for 12-15 mins until the sponge is springy to touch.
6. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
Of course it's all in decoration and on the next few pages you'll get some inspiration on how to decorate your own Christmas cupcakes.
To make the appove whip up a small bowl of plain icing and spoon over the cakes (100g of icing sugar, stir in tablespoons of water until thick and creamy and easy to spread. If too runny add more sugar).
Using pre-roll royal icing (you can get different colours or seperate a block of white icing into balls and apply a drop of food colouring. Kneed it in and keep adding colour until the balls are as vibrant as you like.
Wash your hand between each colour though!
Next roll out the icing on a work surface sprinkled with icing sugar and use a sharp knife to cut out the holly shapes.
A little water on the bottom of each shape will "glue" the icing in place.