Sausages and lentils
This wholesome tasty dish of posh pork and leek sausages perched on Puy lentils with mushrooms is a hearty meal that should warm you up before bracing the cold for that 5th November firework display.
225g/8oz Puy lentils
4 tbsp sunflower oil
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
175g/6oz chestnut, or button mushrooms, wiped and quartered
salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 pork and leek sausages
For the sauce:
2 tbsp Maille Wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp double cream
juice of half a lemon
How to make:
- Cook lentils in simmering water, until tender. Drain and reserve.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry shallots until softened. Remove from pan and add to lentils.
- Add mushrooms to pan with 1 more tbsp oil and cook mushrooms until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and add to lentil mix.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reserve, keeping warm.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan and gently fry sausages over medium heat until browned all over.
- At the same time, spoon Maille Wholegrain mustard into a small pan and add cream and lemon juice. Mix well and heat through.
- Pile lentil mix in the centre of four plates and top each with three sausages. Drizzle over the Maille Wholegrain mustard sauce.