1. The First Meeting
Be cool. Don't panic. First impressions are only the most important thing. Like ever.
2. Dressing To Impress, And Sweating Like Crazy...
It's summer and humid, and you still have to look fabulous? This is impossible.
3. The Minimum Wage Struggle
Now that you're getting paid, your parents expect you to actually start paying for things. What?
4. Or Not Getting Paid At All....
Of course, why should you expect equal pay for equal work.
5. The Obligatory Coffee Run
Because being an intern means you must have the octopus-like ability to carry coffee and scones for the entire office.
6. Getting "The Look" From Clients
Why does being an intern naturally get you a look of disdain? The look says one thing: You know nothing. Thanks, everybody. Thanks a lot.
7. Dealing With Parental Motivational Speeches
When you're down, your parents are always there to give you the talk about how this internship will be SO helpful when you try to get a REAL job.
8. Superiors ALWAYS Forget Your Name
No, that's not it. Nope. Not that one either.....You know what, just forget it.
9. Misspell ONE Superior's Name And Get Death Glares...
But, there's like a dozen of you, and we've only known each other a week!
10. Updating Spreadsheets Is So. Much. Fun.
And of course you have to call each and EVERY contact number to make sure they're still working...All one thousand and one of them...
11. Almost As Fun As Filing And Organizing...
You start to wonder how they found anything around here without you.
12. Existing In A State Of Intern Solidarity
There's only one person in the entire world who understands your pain: the other intern.
13. Inevitably Traveling A LOT (And Not Getting Paid For It)
Do they realize how much gas costs?
14. Getting ALL The Throw Away Jobs
Oh sure, don't want to do it, just throw it on the poor intern. You should have your own episode of "Dirty Jobs" at this point.
15. That One Hungover Morning
You're young, so you inevitably partied it up one night. They should thank you for even making it into the office alive this morning.
16. Superiors Reminiscing About College (Like You Care)
You understand they were young once, but that time has LONG passed. Like bell bottoms and leg warmers.
17. The Down Time
Now you understand why they wanted a "self-motivated go-getter." Because they inevitably leave you with NOTHING to do. Time to twiddle your thumbs and pretend to be productive...
18. Getting Caught Surfing Social Media
It's for work purposes, promise!
19. Really Awkward Meetings
What exactly are you supposed to be doing? Just jot notes on EVERYTHING. Good luck if someone actually talks to you.
20. Being The Only One NOT In The Meeting
Oh yeah, because you're the only one who's technically not an employee...What the heck are they even talking about in there?
21. Answering Phones
Why put the one person who knows the LEAST about the company at the phone lines where people are asking all these questions?
22. The Employee Who Thinks You're Their PA
There's always that one. No, you will not pick up their lunch every day. Or their dry cleaning. Nope.
23. Realizing You Are Slave Labor. WTF.
You're so exhausted - there is no way this can be legal. They're working you into the ground!
24. That One Project That's WAY Over Your Head
Now it's time to prove your worth! Only, you haven't got a clue what you're doing...
25. Realizing You May Actually LIKE Your Job
You got that project done, and now you're way too proud of yourself. Maybe this job isn't half bad.
26. Actually Bonding With Coworkers
You know where they went to college and what their kids names are, and you've already planned a drinking date!
27. Getting More Responsibility
Sure you'll be even more busy, but this means they trust you to do ACTUAL work. Yeah, you rock.
28. The Inevitable End
All too soon, it's time to leave. You shed a few tears with your fave coworkers and fellow interns. And for those few who weren't so awesome? Hasta la vista, baby!
What all summer intern experiences can you relate to? Tweet us @wewomenCA!!